Eclair is a popular confection made with the very light Choux pastry, that is also used for profiteroles and croquembouche. Here we give it a desi twist with the use of boondi.
- Water 125 ml
- Milk 125 ml
- Butter 125 gm
- Caster sugar 12 gm
- Flour 165 gm
- Eggs 5
- Salt 2 gm
For Pastry Cream
- Milk 500 ml
- Sugar 100 gm
- Egg yolks 120 gm
- Vanilla Few drops
- Flour 50 gm
- White chocolate: for sheet 60 gm
- Boondi to spread 60 gm
Method: For éclairs
- Heat the water, milk, butter, and sugar together and bring to boil.
- Take the pan off the heat and add the sifted flour and salt.
- Use a spatula to stir until completely combined.
- Return the pan to the hob, reduce the heat to low and continue stirring with a spatula until the dough leaves the sides of the pan.
- Take off the heat; transfer the dough to mixing bowl and leave to cool for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Gradually add the beaten eggs into the dough.
- Beat with a spatula until the mixture is smooth. The consistency should be neither too soft nor too hard; it should drop off the spoon leaving a smooth ‘V’ shape.
Pipe into shape and bake at 200c for 12-15 minutes then reduce temperature and let them dry on 180c.
FOR PASTRY CREAM:
- Put the milk in a saucepan, add vanilla to the milk.
- Bring to the boil.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolk, caster sugar. Add the flour and whisk well until smooth.
- Pour half of the infused milk into egg mixture and whisk again until there are no lumps.
- Pass the mixture through the sieve, and then return the mixture back to the remaining milk in the pan.
- Continuously whisk the mixture until it comes to boil (cook till 80c).
- Take the pan off the heat and pour the crème patisserie into a shallow tray.
- Cover with cling film and cool.
- Make a cylinder using a plastic sheet and fill with pastry cream and set in the freezer to make pastry cream log.
- Spread a thin layer of white chocolate on a paper.
- Sprinkle Boondi on chocolate before chocolate sets.
- Place frozen pastry cream log on a chocolate sheet and wrap it.
- Set in the fridge.
- Slit the éclair and fill it with the frozen pastry cream log.
- Garnish with shaved chocolate and boondi.